Re: [RTTY] Call For Papers--2004 Digital Communications Conference

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Call For Papers--2004 Digital Communications Conference
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:32:36 -0700

On Apr 6, 2004, at 8:36 AM, llindblom@juno.com wrote:
Des Moines, IA wild! I've never thought of Des Moines as a hot bed of technical knowledge beyond the bio - tech arena. I am only a few miles east of Des Moines and know the it fairly well, if anyone has questions about the area.

Never sell Iowa short, Larry! The first ever electronic digital computer was constructed by Atanasoff at that little college near Des Moines. Yep, the courts gave the patent to Iowa State and not to the ENIAC.

The first -digital- computer though, was probably Babbage's, done with wheels and gears. Antanasoff used vacuum tube gates and flip-flops (not the political kind :-).

73
Chen, W7AY