RE: [RTTY] Don's first SO2R setup from the AM days??

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Don's first SO2R setup from the AM days??
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:38:45 -0500
SO4R is not out of the question.  But first, let's see how this SO3R setup
works.  I do have a 3rd TS-870 on its way back from AVVID!  That would give me
the 4 radios.  But basically the station will remain SO2R with the 3rd radio
being an "on-line" spare most of the time.

http://www.aa5au.com/shack040411a.jpg and back of the desk
http://www.aa5au.com/shack040413.jpg (AC power strip, RigRunner, Dunestar 600
#1, Dunestar 600 #2, another RigRunner, another AC power strip, back of the Dell
PC and the ground buss - EVERYTHING is individually grounded finally!)  The mess
on the far end is my network.  Need to find a place for the modem, router & hub.

Purchased a 4-port COM board from Byterunner to go along with the 2-port board I
installed earlier in the Dell.  That gives me 7 COM ports.  So the 3rd radio
will be on-line with the Dell and sharing the new 20" LCD monitor with the '775
while the Kenwood on the right will have its own PC.  The trick will be how to
listen to the 3rd radio.  Thoughts are to use low tones and couple the audio
into the left side of the headphones.  Not sure how I will do that yet.  But
it's bound to be pretty weird listening to both high and low tones in one ear,
and high tones only in the other.  But weird is sometimes good.

Still need to find a cheap desk for the right-hand side so I can build a shelf
and mount the 2nd AL-80B.  The PW-1 will go on the floor behind the desk.  Still
lots to do inside and I'm anxious to get it done so I can start on the antennas
before it gets too hot.

Speaking of the PW-1, I figured out the problem last night even though the
amplifier is in AZ waiting to be repaired.  I found a small 33 ohm chip resistor
laying on the desk last night.  I could not imagine where it came from and
realized it must have fallen out of the control head of the PW-1 when I opened
it up on the desk.  I pulled out the tech manual to the amp and sure enough, R30
on the front unit is 33 ohms and feeds IC-6.

This makes sense.  Since the amp control head was intermittent until I thumped
it with my finger and it failed altogether.  The resistor must have been loose
all along and when I thumped it, the resistor probably fell off the board.  Too
bad I didn't notice it fall out of the control unit!  Oh well.  Live and learn.

I have to admit that is an interesting picture of Phil, N6ZZ.

Hope to do a full article on rebuilding the shack when I get it finished.  Not
sure when that will be.  It's a labor of love and loads of fun.

73, Don AA5AU