Re: [RTTY] Friend files

To: rtty-contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Friend files
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:13:33 -0700

On Jul 20, 2004, at 5:46 PM, roofus wrote:

I have not gotten around to playing with them yet but most contests seem to
be aimed at speed and saying HI DICK would slow things down. Are they used
for contesting or considered bad manners?

I think you are going to get a variety of replies to this one :-).

Personally, I have found it quite useful as a "checksum" in case I have only partially copied the callsign that was sent.

If I received GU-6 TU CHEN TOOAPPQ, I can log the exchange without asking for a repeat.

This does not work as well if you have a common name. Although there are more Chens than Johnsons in this world, they seem to stay away from RTTY contests :-).

With VY1JA, you hardly even slowed down the exchange , HI.

73
Chen, W7AY