RE: [RTTY] My WV0D notes about UP

To: "'WI8W'" <rtty@comcast.net>,"'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] My WV0D notes about UP
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:06:02 -0500
The problem here was, the QRM on frequency made it tough to print the
confirmations and instructions. I worked them on 20m RTTY Tuesday morning at
1421 UTC through an earnest pileup, but I lost the confirmation in the QRM.
A little later, they went QRT for 10 minutes and came back calling CQ. I was
the second station to work them when they came back, and the op said I was a
check, which must have meant he logged the first QSO. It was tough to work
around the 4 landers running legal limit. I'm in Iowa, and the path was
right over 4 land. Later that morning I worked them on 15m RTTY at 1602 UTC.
The 15 meter op was very good about confirming each contact, and there was
much less QRM because he was working mostly Europe, and I wasn't hearing the
European QRM on his frequency.

They were not easy to work on 30m, but I managed a QSO Monday night at 0311
UTC after the East Coast went to bed. I also worked them on 12m SSB and CW
and 17m SSB for a sweep of the bands and modes I needed. I don't think they
were on 160m much, maybe a few buddy contacts. Considering the short
operation, and the number of first time Dxpeditioners on the team, I thought
they did very well. Thank God for the Finns. I hope they got back safely.

Nelson, KU0A