Re: [RTTY] AA5AU SARTG SOAB LP

To: "'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AA5AU SARTG SOAB LP
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:13:58 -0700
On Aug 22, 2004, at 10:56 AM, Don Hill AA5AU wrote:

Two big surprises. The first was working HS72B on 20 meters. That's usually
impossible using low power from here, let alone in the middle of the day (1953Z)
during a contest.

By the way, the special callsign is used by RAST to commemorate Queen Sirikit's 72nd birthday about a week ago. Ages that are divisible by 12 have special significance in the Far East since they use 12 birthsigns. The Queen holds the HS1B callsign (don't know if she uses it much), hence the "B" suffix in HS72B.

King Bhumibol holds the only other current 2x1 callsign (HS1A) that I know of. I don't think he gets on HF, but he takes his VHF walkie talkie everywhere he goes and he is responsible for the exponential growth of hams (mostly VHF) in Thailand in the past couple of decades, thus the need for the E2 block of calls.

There were some 2x1 HS calls by visiting farangs (western foreigners :-) way back when.

The "HS" prefix came from the old name for Thailand -- Siam, when the IARU was formed.

73 & Saswadee
Chen, W7AY