[RTTY] W1ZT SARTG & QRM

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] W1ZT SARTG & QRM
From: George Johnson <w1zt@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:54:50 -0400
SARTG WW RTTY Contest

Call: W1ZT
Operator(s): W1ZT
Station: W1ZT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   80:
   40:
   20:   78  1015    38
   15:   34   460    20
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  112  1475    58  Total Score = 85,550

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions on Sunday were fair and low noise but signal levels from the same
areas varied considerably. But it was nice to see some good QSO totals so there
was good activity. Limited time always limits my QSO total... but thanks for all
the Qs.

I have been reading the interesting comments from some of the European contesters and, as AA5AU mentioned, I cannot confirm the reception of so many bad signals. My activity was limited to the last period on Sunday and I was concentrating on European signals on both 20m and 15m. There was a big difference in signal strengths from time to time that I associated with large differences in station power and antennas. In this part of the solar cycle I would encourage anyone to continue to improve their antenna systems within the limits of their local situation. It makes a big difference at the other end of the path.

I also noted considerable crowding of signals close together and the corresponding "busted" QSO activity that comes with the QRM and poorly timed calling. While these signals were weaker here and not causing anything but QRM and busted contacts, the strength in Europe must have been quite loud. Narrow receive filters will not remove intermod and other distortion products from the passband as AA5AU noted in his message. The attenuator or other front end filtering is needed in these conditions. I recently ran across an article on "roofing filtering" that may be of interest.

http://www.qth.com/inrad/roofing-filters.pdf

However, there are bad audio AFSK signals on the bands that have strong harmonics and distortion. And there is too much intentional crowding for "competitive" purposes as an operating style. We all see that in the DX pileups as well as the contests. The most practical relief in these conditions is to spread out and continue to improve our ability to hear weak signals. We will all face weaker signal paths for some years and we will all contest in fewer bands until the next solar cycle raises the MUF. I look forward to finding more people above 14100 as time progresses... don't forget to avoid the NCDXF beacons at 14100 !!

73 to all, George .. W1ZT