Re: [RTTY] Fw: ARLB025 ARRL seeks comment on draft"Bandwidth" petition

To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Fw: ARLB025 ARRL seeks comment on draft"Bandwidth" petition
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:16:00 -0700

On Aug 25, 2004, at 6:13 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

One alternative
would be to try using narrower shifts on RTTY, perhaps on the order of 50 Hz or
so. There are some technical reasons why this is not a good idea, but perhaps
they can be overcome.

That had occurred to me, too.

But what do we do with people who are running FSK rigs? Not all TU and TNCs can change shifts just like that either.

Selective fading signals could be harder to copy too, with the narrower shift.

And, we can just about forget about running the High Speed RTTY contest, unless people want to do that in the 3 kHz segments.

73
Chen, W7AY