Re: [RTTY] Filters for an ICOM 706

To: <rtty@contesting.com>, "Ian S. Amos" <ve3esh@cogeco.ca>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Filters for an ICOM 706
From: "John Fleming" <john@wa9als.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:35:09 -0500
> During the CQ WW RTTY Contest I found the bands very congested, which was
> to expected, however with no filters in my ICOM 706 I was getting
clobbered
> by other station and could not print while they were transmitting.  So it
> is time to buy a filter, ICOM has 4 to choose from:
> 500 hz & 250 hz for RTTY / CW and
> 1.8khz & 3.3 khz for SSB.

I don't know which "706" you have, but there's another option for the
706MKIIG.  I use the FL-232 350 Hz filter for RTTY, and I think it's near
optimum.  You can do RTTY with 250 Hz, but it gets problematic really fast
if people are off frequency.  The 350 is a big improvement over the 500.  If
you do a lot of CW, maybe you want the 250, but for RTTY, I'd get the 350.
GL - 73, John WA9ALS