Re: [RTTY] AA0CY Cabrillo Log Is Posted

To: RTTY <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AA0CY Cabrillo Log Is Posted
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:49:38 -0000

On 3 Oct 2004 ka3hsw@earthlink.net wrote:

> On 1 Oct 2004 at 23:27, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>
> > At 10:55 PM 9/29/2004, Bob Wanderer AA0CY wrote:
> >
> > >PS Can anyone explain to me the logic of sending 5NN for the
> > >signal report in a RTTY Contest?  Especially since it
> > >actually takes longer to do so in Baudot (an extra FIGS
> > >character).
> >
> > It makes no sense for the reason you stated.  Imagine sending 5NN-05
> > that would be two extra shifts!
> >
> > 73 - Jim AD1C
> >

> 5NN is a CW contester's report...  much shorter & faster to send in CW
> than 599.  My guess is that the op sending 5NN on RTTY is a longtime
> CW contester just getting his feet wet in RTTY contesting, and
> bringing his old habits with him.
>
> 73 de KA3HSW

About 25 years ago I did some contest log checking (pre-computer
days).  It amazed me when I saw people actually wrote 5NN down for
their signal reports.  I assumed these were SSB ops that had little
experience with CW, as it should be clear N is an abbreviation for 9,
and not the actual signal report to be transcribed as sent.
Barry W2UP--