[RTTY] RE: JARTS Contest and operator age

To: "Kok Chen" <chen@mac.com>,"a RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RE: JARTS Contest and operator age
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:23:30 +0100
Hi Chen and the group,

Mean and median, plus average!
Ah well, the average was the "sum of samples divided by number of samples",
and in my case was minus the 00 and 99's.

Yes, you are right, I meant "median" and not mean, although as I am not a
statistician, and am not yet convinced that stats prove anything conclusive,
I kind of assumed they were one and the same.

I actually wonder if these stats actually do prove anything conclusive?
For example, do they simply prove that only older ops enter contests?
I know there are younger RTTY ops out there, but some I have chatted to do
not feel that their stations are good enough to contest with, and tend to
avoid them for that reason.
The stats DO prove that very few ladies participate in contests.

It would be very interesting to check back on all the logs for JARTS over
the past years, and see if the "average" and "mean" ages have actually
risen.
I'd be tempted to guess that they have probably remained around the 50-ish
bracket for a number of years.

Looking back at my own JARTS logs, I found the following:
2000  Average: 51, median 50.5
2001   Average: 52, median 51
2002   Average:52, median 52
2003   Average 52, median: 52

The averages in the above were rounded up/down, but most were close to 52.

Anyone else wanna do the same?

73 for now
Phil GU0SUP

---