[RTTY] GU0SUP - WAEDC (SOABLP)

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] GU0SUP - WAEDC (SOABLP)
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:10:58 -0000
Hi all,

Well, wasn't that fun????
I was actually surprised that anyone made any contacts at all, after all
that solar activity earlier in the week!
Conditions certainly did suffer, but I was surprised to see 10m open at
times. It needed constant monitoring, and you had to grab whatever was on
offer at that time, but 32 Q's on 10m was good!

The downside was that 20m closed here just after dusk, and even 40m wasn't
up to much.
15m was in good shape for the first day, but less so on Sunday. I was hoping
to really hot the QTC's hard on the second day, to make up for the potentail
shortfall in Q's, but that just didn't happen.

For the most part, the W's I could hear on Sunday were already in the log,
or were too fluttery to try.
I did work Dennis KI8U, and did think about trying some QTC's, but
conditions just would not have supported that (sorry Dennis!).

One thing that suprised me: I didn't have too many that refused to play with
QTC's! I only saw 3 or 4 that said SRI NO QTC.

The evenings were seriously hard work, having only 40 and 80 to play on, and
my rates were WAAAAAYYY down! Calling CQ was fruitless, but then again, an
inverted L with the horizontal part only 15' above ground isn't likely to
make a serious dent!

The only sad part of the contest was working EZ4XX on 80m, and then seeing
mention of the fact that it was most likely to be a pirate!
The highlight(s) were working ZL2AMI and 9M2/G4ZFE and exchanging QTC's
quite easily! I only needed one line repeating from both.

In the end, I made ONE more QSO than last year, but the QTC's were down by
100, and the points were down about 70k.

Here is what I managed:

Band          Q's         QTC           Mults
80               56            0              104
40               71             0              102
20              143           70             96
15              125          165             84
10                32           0               34
TOTAL     427           235           420
Claimed score: 278040

Rig:    IC756Pro        abt 70 Watts
Ants:    MQ1 mini-beam 10/15/20, inverted L for 40/80
Writelog 10.50D
Cluster

The log will be on LoTW shortly!

Many thanks to all for the fun and the points!
73 for now, and hope to see you in CQWW CW (20m SB LP)
Phil GU0SUP
---