[RTTY] RE: XP vs 98se

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RE: XP vs 98se
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:47:34 -0000
Hi Scott............

Thanks for the WAEDC contact at the weekend!

I have just done exactly that! I had to replace the shack PC, as it was
getting very unstable, so I bit the bullet before it did something
disastrous.

The new PC was built up, with just one hard drive, one CD, and the on-board
COM ports.
I then installed XP Pro, and then SP2.
After that, I installed the extra drives, plus the extra COM ports, and even
an extra soundcard, all one at a time, and then loaded my software one
program at a time in the cases where it needed a proper installation.
Those that did not need this step (such as MMTTY), I just moved from the
spare hard drive to the new one.

I've now run CQWW, JARTS and WAEDC with it, and it all runs very nicely.
I also runa  few DOS programs, and have managed to make them work by using
the compatibility wizard.
I use COM4 for CW on my IC756Pro, and in a few short tests, the CW is fine,
but the real proof will come in a couple of weeks when I plan to have a bash
in CQWW CW as a single band entry.
Might do 10m if the band is open, but the expected band is 20m LP.
FYI, there should be plenty of GU activity! GU4CHY will be running 20m HP,
plus there will be at least one 40m SB and one 80m SB, plus a few running
all bands (eg MU0FAL and GU3MBS).

GL with the new toy!
73 de Phil GU0SUP

---