[RTTY] Re: FSK vs AFSK

To: "Anthony W. DePrato" <" tony wa4jqs"@mikrotec.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re: FSK vs AFSK
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:34:13 -0800
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:52:29 -0500, "Anthony W. DePrato" <"
tony"wa4jqs@mikrotec.com> wrote:

>you both will be changing freqs
>back and forth as the AFC and NET functions do their job.

Tony is right when both stations have NET on.  Only one station at a
time should be using NET or the "walking" up or down the band will
occur.

Best to just leave it off entirely.

As long as we're on the subject of off-frequency operation, AFC can
create a problem too, especially when using relatively wide bandwidth.
Say you have a 500 Hz bandwidth and you are tuning across the band
with AFC on.  As soon as you tune close to a signal, AFC reaches out
and grabs it, tunes it in properly and of course you stop tuning.  The
problem is, your TRANSMIT frequency is still on the other side of your
bandpass.  You see this most often when calling CQ during a contest.
Most stations come back right on your frequency, within 10-20 Hz or
so, but now and then one will come back 100 Hz or more off.  I believe
AFC is often the culprit.  AFC is fine when you are CQing (with NET
off, of course), but not when S&Ping.

--
Bill W6WRT