Re: [RTTY] E-mail from VU4 Dxped re PSK31 for NA

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] E-mail from VU4 Dxped re PSK31 for NA
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:46:54 -0800
On Dec 17, 2004, at 5:08 AM, Richard W. Solomon wrote:
And don't tell me PSK is better for weak signals, it may be, but SSTV ??

For weak signal work, when there is no multipath, PSK is not maybe better than FSK, it most certainly is. Both theoretically (in terms of BERR versus SNR calculations) and also from what I can tell by experimenting with constructing demodulators for them, and working with both modes on the air.

Moreover, from the DX end's perspective, a single visual panoramic sweep using a 2.4 kHz SSB filter gives the op about the same coverage as slowly moving the knob over something like a 25 kHz swath.

I personally prefer that the DX station uses whatever mode they have the most experience with. I still remember having to chase the ever moving RTTY signal from Ducie. But ultimately, it is whatever mode _they_ choose to operate in.

Why SSTV? Well, perhaps they have more love ("amateur") for it than they have with for steam RTTY. That is good enough reason for me.

73
Chen, W7AY