Re: [RTTY] "Slashed" Zeros vs. the number "Zero"

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] "Slashed" Zeros vs. the number "Zero"
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 01:26:22 -0800

On Dec 17, 2004, at 10:19 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
I'm not sure when things changed, but they sure did. Nowdays, the zero and the "O" are differentiated by their thickness. A zero is skinny, an "O" is fat. 0O - which is which?

There is a True Type font called Andale Mono which has a slashed zero. If you don't have it laying around, email me offline and I'll see what I can do.

I think what N1ND refers to are characters which look like zeros but are not.

Among these are the Set Theory symbol for the Empty Set (Unicode 0x2205), the slashed O (slashed oh, not slashed zero) that I think is found in northern European font (in the Unicode position 0x00d8, whose official Unicode name is "Latin Capital letter O with stroke," with the lower case at Unicode 0x00f8), the Greek phi (Unicode 0x03a6), etc.

None of these are the same as the real zero which is ASCII 0x30 (Unicode 0x0030), which in traditional designs are not slashed. Odder still is that even when a zero displays as a slash in some font, it may not have the slash when you typologically (instead of geometrically) shrink the font -- the Monaco font is often designed this way.

73
Chen, W7AY