Re: [RTTY] Bright Idea #99

To: RTTY GROUP <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Bright Idea #99
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:24:35 -0800
On Dec 19, 2004, at 3:43 PM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
A few years ago QST ran an article on a class "E" amp (might have been "D"). VERY efficient - better than 90%, I think (so cooling problems are minimized). A "switcher" at the operating freq, as I recall.

There have been a few articles on Class E amps in the past couple of years of QEX, mostly from a Caltech bunch (bachelors and masters theses), and one or two of them have been watered down for QST consumption.

The operating principle is not like the Class D (basically pwm, I think); Class E instead turns the transistor on right at the point the tank circuit has swung the voltage across the source/drain to zero, thus dissipating very little power in the transistor itself.

But take a look at the amount of current flowing through some of the capacitors -- in one case they had to parallel a whole bunch of caps together because a single one would run so hot it melted the solder the surface mounted cap itself was mounted to the circuit board with :-). And they seem to need a keyed power supply in conjunction with the input CW, which might be easier on RTTY using a PTT relay. But I suspect you may need to drive the amp with FSK that is phase continuous as it switches between mark and space; you might lose some efficiency during the mark/space keying otherwise.

The good news is that QEX is available in pdf form on CD-ROM and you can find the index to past articles at the ARRL web site.

73
Chen, W7AY