Re: [RTTY] QUESTION

To: "ON6LY_TEL" <on6ly@telenet.be>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] QUESTION
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:05:44 -0800
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:02:10 +0100, ON6LY_TEL wrote:

>I´VE USING A IC746 WITH RTTY VIA SOUNDCARD NOW ALL IS WORKING OK ON LSB AND
>USB BUT WHEN I SWITCH TO RTTY MODE HE JUST GIVE ONE TONE IN TX RX IS OK IS
>THERE A SOLUTION,
>BEST 73 AND HAPPY 2005 TO ALL
>ON6LY FRANCIS

The input signal to the transmitter is different when using AFSK vs
FSK.  The AFSK signal (USB or LSB mode) is two audio tones fed into
either the microphone input or a special audio input on the back of
the rig.

FSK (RTTY mode) is completely different: The signal is a simple on-off
keying fed into a different input connector on the back of the rig,
and it requires an interface circuit from the computer's serial port
to key the FSK input.  More information is available from Don's page
at:

http://www.aa5au.com/rtty.html

Browse around, read everything and it will come clear.  FSK (RTTY)
mode is generally preferred over AFSK because it is simpler to use and
requires no monitoring of drive level, but AFSK can be made to work
well if one is careful about it.

--
Bill, W6WRT