Re: [RTTY] 160 RTTY Contesting

To: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <kn4lf@tampabay.rr.com>,"a TARA RTTY eGroup" <RTTY-TARA@yahoogroups.com>,"a RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160 RTTY Contesting
From: "Floyd Sense" <fsense@copper.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 08:58:52 -0500
Tom - I didn't say anything about allocations differing amongst countries, I referred to REGIONS. Here is the latest IARU band plan that I could find, and it shows the recommended band usage in the three Regions. As pointed out on the bottom of that page, these are only recommendations and are not binding upon any government.

http://www.iaru-r2.org/hf_e.htm

I assume that any contest you would propose would be international in nature and not just for USA or Region 2 stations. Region 1 stations who are interested in being good radio citizens would be restricted to 1838-1842 KHz and wouldn't use the 1805-1815 segment.

I understand your enthusiasm in thinking that contesters are "one cut above", but behavior observed in contests at this location simply don't bear that out. Take a listen on 40 meter DX SSB frequencies during any of the DX contests and listen to all the USA stations who are calling the CQing DX on their frequency, far below the bottom of the US band. Note the callsigns and see how many of them are regular contesters.

Perhaps propagation in Florida on 160 hasn't been very good the past few years, but the band here in NC is certainly not empty of QSOs (OK, don't hear any RTTY QSOs!). Activity over the past 30 years has increased substantially, both from a US and a DX standpoint. The one big difference I notice is that even the highly skilled contesters don't have a clue what the DX window is for, and apparently think that is where the DX stations listen for them to call CQ.

K8AC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <kn4lf@tampabay.rr.com>