[RTTY] Re: Help with keeping RF out of PC (Peter Laws)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re: Help with keeping RF out of PC (Peter Laws)
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:21:06 -0600
Peter, Im assuming you replaced the motherboard but retained the harddisk
and its information?  Is the soundcard you're using on the motherboard or
external? What operating system are you running?

Remember that changing a mobo is a pretty big undertaking for any OS.
Windows will discover the new devices (chipset, sound, serial, usb, etc) but
it doesn't remove the old ones.  This can cause conflicts that can cause
lockups.  There's a simple solution for either 95/98 or 2000/XP that you
should follow each time you change platforms but not OS's.

*** With Great Caution!!***
With Windows 95/98, boot the pc into Safe Mode (Pressing F8 when you see
Starting Windows 98 will give you a menu, you'll see safe mode) and then go
into the Hardware manager(right click My Computer, click properties, and
click Hardware or Device Manager).  Expand each one of the device sections
and remove any devices that you are 1. Certain are no longer there or were
never there, and/or 2. Devices that are grayed out.  Windows 98Se was
NOTORIOUS for putting what I called shadow devices into the registry.  A
brand new, newly installed Win98Se box would show for instance 3 CDRom
drives when there was only one present.  Many PC manufactures (Dell, Gateway
and HP for sure) use images to blast out new pc's.  Some contain devices
that others don't, but the devices were in the image, therefore they show
upas Shadow Devices.  If those devices are not there, they still maintain
memory allocations and registry space.  Both of which can cause conflicts
with present devices. Once all "shadow devices" are removed, reboot the pc.
If you errantly removed any pertinent device, the Add Wizard will start and
prompt you to reinstall any missing components.  Once its finished, restart
it in Safe Mode again and check the Manager to see if they're all cleared.
Then see if that cures the problem.

The scenario for 2000/XP is similar but with different approach.  To see the
"hidden devices" you have to follow certain steps.  They're available at
this MS KB Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241257

Follow the steps there and repeat the same thing.  There's one exception.
The section called "Non Plug-N-Play Drivers" should probably be left alone.
That's a section of drivers as opposed to devices.  Its not a good deal to
mess with those.  Additionally, the sound section does contain several items
pertaining to certain Codec's from Microsoft and various vendors.  I don't
recommend removing the Codec's, but the devices are safe to clean out.  I've
found something in there be in nic's, extra monitors, cdroms, sound cards,
etc each time I've changed a Mobo.  So give that a whirl and let me know how
it turns out.

Charlie
KI5XP