Re: [RTTY] Contest Happenings??

To: <rtty@contesting.com>, <rcooke@g3ldi.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Contest Happenings??
From: "Andy swiffin" <a.l.swiffin@dundee.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:16:07 +0000

>  One thing I noted in the Sprint from about half a dozen (if that)
>stations was when a station
>was running a freq. I called, he came back and issued his exchange. I
>returned and issued mine.
>As soon as I went back to receive he was calling CQ again, no QSL,
TU,
>Have a nice day, kiss my
>butt or anything. This really p....d me off and I insisted on one
>station giving me an acknowledgement
>of my number. I know I am a GOM now I have reached 65 but come on
>guys, give me a break! How long
>does it take to say TU? Are we that hell bent on saving time?  RTTY
is
>the last bastion of gentlemanly
>behaviour and friendship, let's not spoil that!
>
>  Does anybody else share my grief? Am I the only Luddite on the air?

I would say that none of that stations qsos were valid without an ACK.

There are various definitions around about what constitutes a qso but I
always tend to gravitate back to my VHF meteor scatter experience where
you need to have received _both_ callsigns,  a report, and _confirmation
that your report is received_.   Without that final rrrrr the qso is not
complete.

I tend to relax it a bit when S&P and don't send the other stations
callsign but to my mind you always need the tnx, tu, qsl or whatever to
confirm that the exchange is received.

As regards the 599 - silly isn't it - the only point I can see is it
gives those of us who are a bit slower time to enter the info when
working an ssb or cw contest!

Cheers
Andy
gm8oeg