[RTTY] [Fwd: [SECC] CW Sprint vs RTTY Contest QRM]

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] [Fwd: [SECC] CW Sprint vs RTTY Contest QRM]
From: WI8W <wi8w@wi8w.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:06:34 +0000
Jeff brought up a points that I thought need a bit of investigating.

he stated that:

"I understand that recently RTTY has become a popular mode , but the NA Sprints have been around for almost 30 years on this exact weekend. The sponsors of all the new RTTY contests should take this into consideration when picking a date for their contest. "

I did some checking in the archives of both the RTTY and CQ-Contest lists.

Looking at some of the messages on the RTTY list indicate that last year (2004) the CQ RTTY WPX contest was held the weekend of February 14-15. This is the second full weekend of February.

Checking the CQ Contest list for info on the CW Sprint I found the list of claimed scores for that contest that was dated February 1. That means that the Sprint was held sometime before that date, probably January 30 or 31.

This year both the CW Sprint and CQ WPX are scheduled for the same weekend

Jeff also stated:

"The NAQP CW contest back in January conflicted with another RTTY contest and the RTTY QRM made the band almost useless."

It actually was the weekend of the ARRL Roundup.

Looking at the RTTY list again (for 2004) I find claimed scores for the ARRL Roundup dated January 5 indicating that the contest was held on January 3-4

Checking the CQ Contest list I find the list of claimed scores dated January 12 indicating that the CW NAQP was held on January 10

Again, this year they were scheduled for the same weekend.

Looks to me like it was the National Contest Journal, the sponsor of both the NAQP CW and the CW Sprint, was the one who changed the dates of their contests to conflict with both the ARRL Roundup and the WPX RTTY.

Just my opinion of course.

73

Thom WI8W