[RTTY] Growth of RTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Growth of RTTY
From: Dale Sinner <dsinner@tfb.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:55:22 -0800

Computers, software, and advanced modems played a big part in the RTTY explosion over the last few years but let us not forget our humble beginning. A little WW publication called the RTTY Journal played a big role in the beginning. Dedicated RTTY hams like myself kept the fraternity informed through this publicaton. This little publication sponsored RTTY art contests WW and the CQWW contest which is the most renowned of all RTTY contests. Each month RTTY hams submitted their columns for publication. They covered subjects such as DXing, Contesting, VHF RTTY, Packet and published the results contest results from all contests world wide. There were also many construction articles. The RTTY Journal sponsored the RTTY forum at Dayton and for many years a hospitality suite with help from others and organized the RTTY dinner at Dayton. Ask any ham who has been around a few years and he'll tell you how much he learned at these events and how many fellow RTTYers he met long the way. Yes, computers, software, and advanced modems played a big part in the growth but without the above mentioned where would we be today. I could go on about how some of manufacturers took notice of our suggestions at Dayton for improvements to their radios that enhanced RTTY. The beginning was not as smooth as I just made it sound but it helped get to where we are today. Thanks for allowing me this bandwidth.

If you are interested in reading more about RTTY over the years, contact Wayne Matlock, K7WM, at k7wm@i10net.com. Wayne has the archives of the RTTY Journal on CD.

73
Dale Sinner, W6IWO