[RTTY] Spratly Island - DXØK - 1S1A

To: "rtty" <rtty@contesting.com>,"writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Spratly Island - DXØK - 1S1A
From: "Dave W7DPW" <w7dpw@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:29:15 -0800
I was reminded of the following incident as I worked DXØK on 15 Meter
RTTY  on 18 February 2005, Ø2:17Z.

During the Vietnam conflict in the early '70s,  I was stationed at the
seaside village of Vung Tau, South Vietnam and I worked on the docks.
There was a group of Dxers (mostly from the US Embassy staff) ,
notably a W4, named Glen as I recall, who leased a small converted PT
boat to make a trip to Spratly Island and hold a DXexpedition.  I was
asked if I would like to go along. That was not do-able, but I did
wish them good fortune and lots of QSOs.  A day or so after they
departed the pier, they returned with a leaking boat. The boat had to
be repaired and was laying at one of the docks for several days before
it was SeaWorthy once again.  The group preceeded to Spratly and put
1S1A on the air.  I don't remember when they returned and don 't
remember much else.  I was too busy supporting the US efforts at this
small SeaPort.

If there is anyone from that time, let me hear from you..

Dave Drew  - W7DPW