Re: [RTTY] Yaesu FT-1000 MK-Field vs Icom 756 PRO II?

To: ku4j@hiwaay.net, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Yaesu FT-1000 MK-Field vs Icom 756 PRO II?
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:31:50 +0000
I RTTY contest with the original 756PRO (2 of them). when the PROII came
out I carefully read the specs and determined that the changes meant
nothing as far as RTTY contesting is concerned, so stayed with the 756PRO.

Now that the 756PROIII is out, I carefully read the specs again. It SHOULD
be a better "hearing" radio, according to the specs, but looks like the
ARRL tests didn't find much difference. I like the idea of having the RTTY
demod screen displayed along with the Spectrum Scope, but probably won't
pay big bucks to upgrade to it just for that.

So - Knowing what I do right now, if I had to shop tomorrow for replacement
rigs, I probably would save the money and look for clean used original
756PROs just like I have now. If 756PROIIs were near the same price, I
would get them instead. If I were to spend $3k, I would seriously consider
the Orion instead at a few hundred more.

If you use it on SSB also, you will have to get more opinions - mine
pertain to RTTY and CW only.

Bottom line: As far as I can tell, there are NO differences between all
three as far as RTTY is concerned (except for the dual display on the
internal screen - you can display the TU output along with the SS on the III).

GL with your decision.

Jerry W4UK