[RTTY] Friedrichshafen 2005

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Friedrichshafen 2005
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:46:17 +0100
Hi all,

What a weekend!
Waldemar and Walter arranged another very good RTTY dinner, and it was most
enjoyable! Well done to you both!

I cannot remember all the people that were present, but it was a great
pleasure to meet Patrick F6IRF, Bernd DC3HB, Heijo DJ1OJ, and a few others
for the first time.
I had met some of you before, and it was a pleasure to meet you all again.
It was also a great pleasure to present Claudia K2LEO (YL of IK1PMR) with
BARTG QCA and European award certificates (20m) which were gained when she
entered the BARTG Spring contest as 9H3LEO. I was also able to present
Andrea IK1PMR with similar certificates for 40m.
Well done to you both.

The HamRadio event was also very good, and once again this year, I managed
to find a few more RTTY'ers walking around, such as S50DX (ex S57MHA),
PY2NY, T93Y, K4SV, NN1N on the ARRL stand, and more besides.

There was a small meeting on Saturday morning, for those that couldn't
manage to make the dinner, and it was great to meet Bo OZ8ABE, plus Casper
HB9AWS and his son Daniel HB9TOC.

Saturday evening was spent at the Bavarian Contest Club buffet, and this was
also good fun, and we spent a great evening with Gerd DL7VOG and Harald
DL7VSN. A few others joined our table for a chat, such as Walter DJ6QT, and
I also met IT9BLB, who is QRT for a while until he rebuilds his station.

The weather was a little warm for us that aren't used to it! Temperatures
reached 35C (or maybe a little more!), which was bad enough, but the
humidity was up around 95 - 100% and that made it very tiring, and also
difficult to sleep.
Of course, it also meant we had to drink a lot! And the German beer is very
good when chilled to just the right temp!
After the RTTY dinner, Waldemar and I shared a taxi back to our hotel, and
there was a great storm, with torrential rain. When we had to get out of the
taxi, there was a 5 metre walk to the door of the bar, and this was enough
to soak us completely!

My journey home was a cause for panic, as the plane left FHFN a little late,
and we had to get from Stanstead airport down to Gatwick airport for the
final plane home. This flight left at 1950, and we only got to Gatwick at
1930, so we only just made the flight by about 5 minutes, and we had to run
all the way to the gate!
Today was a day of rest for me, catching up on some sleep, but I did manage
to work CY9SS on 20m RTTY (needed band-slot!) and the op was Doug N6TQS. I
also worked Bill HB0/N2WB on 17m RTTY for another new band-slot!

Now I will recover a little and then be ready to have some fun in the DL-DX
contest this weekend! I hope to see you all there.

73 for now

Phil GU0SUP

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.