Re: [RTTY] Keyboard RFI problem solved

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Keyboard RFI problem solved
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:45:08 -0500
Interesting information Bill.

I would have thought a USB keyboard would have been worse with RFI as that has
been my experience here with other USB devices (but not keyboards).  The best
solution I've had for keyboard RFI is to wrap the keyboard cable around a
ferrite rod.  This was a trick I learned from Eddie, G0AZT, down in the Bahamas
many years ago.

Were you using ferrite beads, toroids or rods?  I'm thinking the reason the
ferrite didn't help is because perhaps they are not of the material to attenuate
frequencies that low.  If they are made of material 43, which I think is common,
then they won't attenuate 160 meter frequencies.

Here's a great chart showing material and what frequencies they attenuate:

http://www.cwsbytemark.com/CatalogSheets/PDF_Files/2_12.pdf

73, Don AA5AU