Re: [RTTY] What is DXCC RTTY? (Re: Big Shakeup on the Top Ten

To: "'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] What is DXCC RTTY? (Re: Big Shakeup on the Top Ten
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:00:54 -0500
It's not easy to find, but under the FAQ for DXCC on the ARRL website it says:

"Q: There are other modes not recognized by DXCC. How do they apply?

A: Modes such as PSK-31, G-Tor, Pactor, JT44 etc are digital and count for DXCC
as RTTY. SSTV and other voice modes count as Phone for DXCC."

But it's an interesting question that Ed poses and you have to look at the 2002
list for answers.

Here is the top ten (actually included 12 entities) in 2002:

1 BS7 Scarborough Reef
2 VU Andaman & Nicobar Is.
3 3C0 Annobon I.
4 VK0 Macquarie I.
5 7O Yemen
5 FT5X Kerguelen Is.
7 VU Lakshadweep Is.
8 3Y Bouvet
9 FT5W Crozet I.
10 HK0 Malpelo I.
10 PP0-PY0S St. Peter & St. Paul Rocks
10 ST Sudan

Of those countries, only 3C0, FT5X, PY0S & ST were active on RTTY since the last
survey and none of those are in the top ten so far this year despite only
limited RTTY action from 3C0 (currently at #15).  VU4 Andaman & Nicobar and VK0
Macquarie had limited PSK action since the 2002 survey and both remain in the
top ten.  As I recall, VU7 was active after VU4 in the past on RTTY, so had PSK
not been operated from VU4, I'd have to say it would #2 and VU7 #3.

Macquarie was in the #4 spot in 2002 and is currently tied for 10th today.  I
don't know when the last Macquarie or official 7O operations took place.  The
2002 results suggest that possibly VK0 Macquarie took place before the last
official Yemen RTTY operation.  So without the limited recent Macquarie PSK
operation, a good guess would place it at #4 as it was in 2002.  The biggest
question is Yemen.  I can tell which operators are using the 7O1YGF operation as
"good" in their eyes and have left them off their needs list.  It's not a big
deal, but without anyone counting the 7O1YGF operation (I left it up to each
individual whether they included it or not), I'd have to guess it would be
number #5 today, but again it's just a guess.

The bottom line is that the top ten more than likely would have still included
the entities that are there today (except maybe not 3Y Peter I) had PSK not been
operated from VK0 Macquarie and VU4 Andaman & Nicobar.  It's all speculation,
but fun stuff to play with.  Here is the list today and where I think they would
be if PSK had not been operated from VU4 and VK0.

1 BS7 Scarborough Reef 100.0%, would be #1 regardless.
2 VU Lakshadweep Is. 89.4%, probably would have been #3 without VU4 PSK
3 7O Yemen 84.7%, probably would have been #5 without VU4 & VK0 PSK
4 3Y Bouvet 78.2%, probably would have been #6 with VU4 & VK0 PSK
5 HK0 Malpelo I. 76.5%, probably would have been #7 with VU4 & VK0 PSK
6 VU Andaman & Nicobar Is. 74.7%, probably would have been #2 without recent
VU4NRO PSK operation
7 FT5W Crozet I. 74.1%, probably would have been #8 with VU4 & VK0 PSK
7 KP5 Desecheo I. 74.1%, probably would have been #9 with VU4 & VK0 PSK
9 KP1 Navassa I. 72.4%, probably would have been #10 with VU4 & VK0 PSK
10 3Y Peter I Is. 71.2%, probably would have been #11 with VU4 & VK0 PSK
10 VK0 Macquarie I 71.2%, probably would have been #4 without recent VK0MT PSK
operation

There is a lot of interesting tidbits coming from the survey and I'm not going
to reveal all of them now, but here's one...

Did you know that Ducie Island is more rare than Pitcairn (so far) on RTTY?

And by the way, 3 of the top 10 today are populated - VU4, VU7 & 7O.  Not sure
what happened to the well advertised HK0 Malpelo trip that was to happen this
year.  I sure could use that one!  Maybe the VU4 operation might have opened the
door for VU7?

More to come.

73, Don AA5AU