Re: [RTTY] note against RTTY-contester

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] note against RTTY-contester
From: "Andrew J. O'Brien" <obrienaj@netsync.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:38:43 -0400
With a different attitude  the CW'ers , especially those involved in
emergency traffic drills/nets, could make the QRMing from RTTY contesters
into something fun and challenging.

I am a health care professional and serve on emergency preparedness
committees. I explain to non-hams that one reason for ambulance/fire/police
communications failures  during a disaster , is because the radio operators
have fixed channel radio and/or do not know what to do when their bands are
overloaded (front ends), desensed, and just plain overcrowded.  I explain ,
to the health care professionals, that hams do not have this problem because
they have more frequencies/bands that they can switch too and know how to
handle pile-ups/QRM, and desensing..

So, with this in mind, if the CW bands on 160,80,40,20,15,and 10, become
full of RTTY signals for 48 hours , I would LOVE IT if I was a CW emergency
net control.  It would allow me to simulate emergency conditions and
practice sending/receiving code under severe QRM.  It would also allow me to
test how responsive net members were to last minute changes in frequencies
and bands and test people ability to switch to WARC bands .

So, the challenge to emegerency and traffic operators is to look forward to
contest weekends and turn in in to a fun , but valuable, test of real radio
skills.

Andy K3UK