[RTTY] VE1OP CQWW RTTY Contest

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] VE1OP CQWW RTTY Contest
From: Scott Nichols <snichols@mvosprey.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:32:57 -0300
                  CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VE1OP
Operator(s): VE1OP
Station: VE1OP

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NS
Operating Time (hrs): 35

   80:  111   236       30      23     9
   40:  316   750       42      63    18
   20:  749  1901       48      83    29
   15:  430  1122       35      80    24
   10:   15    35        3      11     6
Total: 1621  4044      158     260    86  Total Score = 2,038,176

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

That was FUN!!

GREAT activity from everywhere and GREAT condx...

Had 2 goals for this contest...1) 36 hours in the chair and 2) 2 million
points...Missed 36 hours by 1 hour, but had a little over 2 million points, so
I'm happy with the score...I knew going into this one that I was going to miss 6
hours of prime-time, as it was my son's birthday Saturday and I spent time doing
that...This was my first real contest effort since last spring, and a trial run
for my new amp, which I am very happy with...

I normally turn on the Telnet for WW contest, but left it off for this one...You
know what ? It actually probably resulted in a better score for me...If you run
at the right times, in the right spots, the mults will call in eventually...I
did likely spend too much time tuning aroung looking for mults, but who
knows...Sometimes I got lucky, sometimes I wasted time...

Surprisingly good condx on 15 metres Sunday...It was like someone flicked the
switch...Signals were barely copyable one minute, then they were 10 over 9...I
thought I had antenna issues at first, but judging by comments I've seen, it was
condx changing...Not much on 10, but I did spend too much time tuning 10 for
mults, when I knew that even if it was open, nobody would be there...40 had
something similar to the 1970's "Russian Woodpecker" Friday night (What is that
anyway ?) and 80 was very noisy both nights...I think Santa will be bringing
VE1OP a new 40m beam for xmas...

Still lots of stations with mile-long exchanges...I think that's due to lack of
experience and reliance too much on "default" settings in many RTTY
programs...One EU station sent MY call 7 times, and HIS call 8 times for ONE
QSO...That will improve as more op's get experienced I guess...AND, PLEASE
eliminat your QSO B4 buffers...They are a waste of time...If I call you, that
means you are not in my log...You can waste 3 minutes of both our times arguing,
or spend 20 seconds getting the mult/points in your log...

HIGHLIGHTS...Snagging JT1CO on 20m, and logging LA stations on 3 bands...I
thought they would be non-existent...Thanks for getting on guys and hope things
go well for you in the aftermath...Also had many nice mults call in near the end
of the contest...Thanks!!

LOWLIGHTS...Not being able to put 40 hours into this one...I may have been able
to break 2.5 million points...AND lack of VE mults...Where was everyone ?

GEAR: FT1000 Mark V, one tri-bander and 2 dipoles, new AL811HX amp at 400 or so
watts...

Thanks for all the calls, C U in the next one...Gotta love contest season!!

73, Scott VE1OP