[RTTY] CQWW Claimed Score HB0/DL1FX

To: "_ _ _RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] CQWW Claimed Score HB0/DL1FX
From: Ekki Plicht <ep@plicht.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:34:03 +0200
Wow, what a contest... really excellent.
Here is what we got, so far:

BAND  QSOs  Valid QSOs  Points  DXCC  QTH  ZONE
10      14       14        40     7     0    6
15     349      347       922    66    37   25
20     532      531      1333    78    42   32
40     586      586      1390    71    39   22
80     302      301       619    49     3   14
      1783     1779      4304   271   121   99

Final Score: 4304  *  (271 + 121 + 99)  =  2.113.264

Class:  M/S, HP
Rig:    IC-756Pro, TenTec Hercules-II PA
Soft:   RCKRtty 3.12 with MMTTY
Ant:    Dipole (80/40),
        FB-23 2Ele Beam (20/15/10),
        Butternut HF-6V (80-10).
        80% of the Qs were done (again) with the HF-6V.
        This antenna is a real winner (with proper radials).
Location: Sareis nr. Malbun, JN47TC, 2015m asl.

The team (same as last year):
Peter (DL1FX), Rainer (DL1ZBO), Tilo (DJ5BX), Ekki (DF4OR)

We arrived Wednesday in Liechtenstein to cloudy weather, up in 2000m asl it
was quite cold and windy. After a coffee we started setting up the HF-6V, so
we had an all band antenna. Then, after the bad experiences last year, we set
up the packet link. You should think that it is easy to find a digipeater
from that high up, but the location is not very good for VHF... anyway, we
found a nice digi (HB9HAI nr Davos) which worked fine all weekend.

The beam and the dipole were set up on Thursday in excellent weather - sunny
and warm. And also the rest of the station. In fact we had a free day on
Friday which Peter, Tilo and Rainer used for a day long hike over the
mountains. Beautiful surrounding there, if you come to HB0-Land go there and
pay a visit to Ms Degen who runs the cabin up there. Excellent food also... I
stayed at the cabin that day to work some CW on the bands. I am much too fat
for a hike like that anyway :-)

The contest began for us on 40m with excellent activity and good conditions.
Real nice runs, time flew, thanks to all who called us. Being the only one
station from a country in a CQWW contest is _really_ worth 6dB, hi hi.

The excellent participation and good conditions continued throughout the
weekend - as did the weather. After 20cm of snow and frost last year this was
a nice change. Much of the off-time we spent outside, hiking or on the
terrace, just enjoying the sun.

10m was a disappointment, just 14 Qs, mostly to SA and EU, no single NA
station there. But 15m was fantastic, wall to wall signals and some good DX.
And 40... never seen so many signals on that band. Can't wait for the new
allocation (up to 7200) in some years. Sorry for all the CW and SSB stations.
We are certain that we missed some mults (from what I read from others here),
but since we spent most of the time calling CQ that's to be expected.

Nice to see many well known calls (AA5AU back in business!) as well as many
new ones.

Sunday became slower going, of course, but it always surprising how many mults
you can find if you look close. Signals from NA were not vy strong, but easy
to copy on a quiet frequency (if there was one).

Some observations and rants:
Callsigns seem to get weirder and weirder each year. Is it really a
competitive advantage to have 4O310SKY? Or HA80IARU? My my... but their
results are vy good, congrats.

Some people still don't know that they can overdrive their modulator from the
soundcard. Some horrible signals from which we had to move away because
decoding on our frequency was impossible.

We had a Kenwood TS-480SAT as a backup rig. Comparing my trusty 756Pro and the
480 side by side before the contest nearly made us switch rigs. The TS480 is
excellent with it's selectivity and dynamic range. But then we stayed with
the Icom, mostly because of the invaluable spectrum display.

We finished on Monday morning with a good bottle of wine (or two) because it
was Tilos birthday... a nice treat to finish a beautiful contest.

We made +200 Qs compared to last year, +600K points, so we mus thave done
something right. But perhaps it was just the lack of snow which detuned the
antennas last year...

The location is already booked for us for next years CQWW RTTY, then again
with Rainers call, HB0/DL1ZBO.

Many thanks to all who gave us a QSO, good luck to all and see u in the next
one. Thanks to Ms Degen of Sareis and Pierre, HB9QQ for their excellent
support.

If you want to know more about the cabin at Sareiser Joch check
http://www.sareis.li

Pictures of our little trip will follow in some days on my website.

73,
Ekki (DF4OR) for the entire HB0/DL1FX team.