Re: [RTTY] G4YTF (about log conversions)

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] G4YTF (about log conversions)
From: f6irf@free.fr
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 12:17:25 +0200
> have been using G4YTF logging software for many years and have
> most of my qso's logged  using this old software, would like to
> be able to convert it to ADIF format so I can export it to another logging
> software, can anyone help. JACK ...G4EMT ..LIVERPOOL

Jack, something, I forgot to mention...

BV7 (the QSL software - freeware) has very nice import/export features
http://www.df3cb.com/bv/
Look under windows\tools(import/export).

It is quite easy to create an ADI file, from any type of ascii file.
Just rename you ascii file as .csv (even if the separators are not a comma) and
import; BV will prompt you for the kind of separator (can be any, like space,
%,;,- etc) then it will ask you to specify what is what (ie which field is the
callsign, the date, the time etc...). You also will need to specify date
format). You only need to do this once, then the ascii file specs will be
saved for future use.
Only limitation: the separator can be anything but has to be unique. You may use
the "search and replace" function of any text editor to change the separators,
or import into excel as txt file - then save as csv (importing a txt into
excel, more than one separator is allowed)

The procedure is the following one 1) first import your ascii  into BV and save
it as BV log  2) Then you can export the BV log in any of the proposed formats.

As mentionned earlier, If your software has no export facility, but has a "print
log" (old log software used to have this... ) facility it might be possible
using "print to file" to recover something easier to use than the G4YTF log
format. see below.

Hope it helps - Pat

=======================================
Add Generic/Text Only printer to Windows
=======================================

You will need to create an icon for the Windows printer named Generic/Text Only.
You only need to do this once.

You may need the Windows installation disk(s), so have it available, if
possible. The instructions below are for Windows95, but the setup using Windows
3.1 or NT is similar.

Open "Control Panel"
Open "Printers"
Open "Add printer" to start "Add Printer Wizard"
Local printer
Manufacturer: Generic
Printers: Generic/Text only
Port 'FILE: creates a file on disk'
Name printer (can use default name or give another one)
'Use as default' select 'No'
Insert Windows CD (if you are asked to do so)
Complete the installation from the menu
You can check that the settings are correct by right clicking on the icon, then
left clicking on 'Properties', 'Details'. The port should be 'FILE', the
printer driver should be Generic/Text Only.

==============
BV7 - IMPORT
==============
BV is able to import these log types. Some log types, which were available in BV
Version 6, are no more offered in BV Version 7 or can be differently imported.

ADIF (Amateur Data Interchange Format) [*.adi]

ADIF is meanwhile the most common log interchange format. See the description in
the chapter ADIF - Amateur Data Interchange Format and notes to the import in BV
in the chapter ADIF Import into BV.
ARMAP99 [*.csv]
ARMASP99 cannot be imported directly but use the CSV import instead. See the
chapter ASCII and CSV File Import Specifications.

ASCII Text Files [*.txt]

The second most commonly used format is text files (ASCII files). There are
usually two types ? one is the fixed format type where all fields are aligned
in fixed columns and the other one is the delimited type where all fields are
separated by delimiters, e.g. colons. BV is able to import practically any type
of ASCII text files of both types but so-called ASCII File Import Specifications
need to be defined. See the chapter ASCII and CSV File Import Specifications.

BV Files Version 3 to 6

For backward compatibility and upgrade reasons, log files from former version of
BV can be imported of course. BV Version 3 files (DOS) had the file extensions
*.qsl and *.srt, BV Version 4 files (DOS) *.bv1 and *.bv2, BV Version 6 files
(Windows) the extensions *.dbf, *.mdx and *.bvc.

BV Logs (Version 7)

BV logs of Version 7 (*.dbf, *.mdx, *.bv7) can be imported of course.

Cabrillo [*.txt]

Cabrillo format, developed by N5KO, becomes the second most important
interchange format. Cabrillo is the required log format for the most important
contests. Most contest programs generate Cabrillo output. CT by K1EA for
example generates the file callsign.txt when you enter the command WRITELOG in
the call sign field.

CSV (Comma separated values)  [*.csv]

Microsoft Excel can generate CSV files but these files are nothing else than
ASCII files of the delimited type where all fields are separated by delimiters,
e.g. colons, and all values are embedded in hyphens. BV is able to import
practically any type of CSV files but so-called CSV File Import Specifications
need to be defined. See the chapter ASCII and CSV File Import Specifications.

CT by K1EA

There are two ways to import log files from CT. Use the CT text command WRITELOG
that creates the Cabrillo file callsign.txt. This one can be imported into BV.
Alternatively you can use the CT utility program C2A, provided by Jim Reisert,
AD1C,  which converts the CT log file [*.bin] into ADIF [*.adi]. Call C2A
together with the log file name in a DOS session. Be sure to use the latest
version of C2A from the CT website www.k1ea.com.

dBase [*.dbf]

BV is able to import practically any type of dBase files but so-called DBase
Import Specifications need to be defined.

DX4WIN

DX4WIN cannot be imported into BV. Use the ADIF export of DX4WIN instead.

DXBase [*.sdf]

DXBase cannot yet be imported into BV Version 7.

DXLog by DL2SCJ (ASCII Format) [*.log]

DXLog cannot yet be imported into BV Version 7.

FINTEST [*.txt]

FINTEST cannot yet be imported into BV Version 7.

G4ZFE Log Search Applet

The G4ZFE log search files cannot be imported but exported.

HAM-LOG

HAM-LOG cannot yet be imported into BV Version 7.

Ham System by OH2GI

Ham System cannot yet be imported into BV Version 7.

Kenwood HamWindows

HamWindows import has been removed but I can provide a separate conversion
utility on request.

LOGPlus! by N7XR (KD7P)

The LogPlus! files are dBase and can be imported with the dBase import. Import
Specifications are provided with the BV distribution.

LOGic

LOGic cannot yet be imported into BV Version 7.

NA by K8CC (PRN Files)

NA can directly be imported into BV Version 7.

OH1AA (.ASC Files)

OH1AA files cannot yet be imported into BV Version 7.

QW by DL4MFM (.BIN Files)

QW can directly be imported into BV Version 7.

R25Log

The R25Log files are dBase and can be imported with the dBase import. Import
Specifications are provided with the BV distribution.

RTTY by WF1B Contest Software [*.bin]

RTTY logs can directly be imported into BV.

SPLog
SPLog import has also been removed.

SPRINT by DL2NBU [*.asc]

SPRINT logs can directly be imported into BV.

Swisslog

The DOS version of Swisslog can directly be imported into BV but the Windows
version not. Use the ADIF export of the Windows version instead.

TRLog by N6TR

TRLog log files can directly be imported.

Toplog by I4UFH (Version 3)

The Toplog logs are dBase and can be imported with the dBase import. Import
Specifications are provided with the BV distribution.

WB2DND (N1DG) Log Database

The WB2DND logs are dBase and can be imported with the dBase import. Import
Specifications are provided with the BV distribution.

Writelog

Writelog cannot be imported into BV. Use the ADIF export of Writelog instead.

YPLog by VE6YP

YPLog log files can directly be imported.

[RTTY] G4YTF
from [G4emt] [Permanent Link][Original]