[RTTY] K4WWSOABLP

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] K4WWSOABLP
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 05:35:30 -0400
Hopefully it's never too late for a "COF" to learn some valuable lessons?
Along with Bill, W6WRT, especially in these band conditions, I seldom
operate low power, when high power is an option. Hopefully the "high power"
option will be back on the desk, soon. Operating low power sure defines the
stations that can receive, as well as transmit! I commend those stations
that called me, and apologize to those that I could not print! Operating low
power, especially on 15 meters, keeps me from having to worry about the US
(FCC) requirement of 200 watts, maximum, above 21.100.
I also had my first bad experience with the "dreaded" QSO B4! T95MMX
absolutely refused to work me on 20 meters, regardless of the number of
times I insisted that he was "not in my log", resulting in a lost contact
for both of us. This situation has been "cussed, and discussed", and I only
mention it, as it was the first someone absolutely refused to work me?
Even though, especially on CW (yep I do that also), 599 serves as a
"buffer", to the "required" exchange, I would also like to see it go away,
as I see no other "positive" purpose? Speaking of buffers...most, if not
all, contest programs have plenty of "programmable" buffers? IMHO...one, or
more, buffers should be programmed for those instances when a station is
worked more than once? There is no need for more than one "599 + exchange",
as the information is already there? I, also, chose to try the "friend"
file, for the first time, using WriteLog, and it certainly needs to be
updated. not by the host, but by the users?
I urge all to visit  http://www.af4z.com/ham/  and make sure that your name,
or the one that you prefer,  is there, if you want it there. Prudent use of
the "friend" file, IMHO, just adds to the "friendly" nature of RTTY
contesting?
I missed the 10 meter opening, on Sunday, due to a "pleasantly", unexpected
visit from my Son and his family, that may have cost me several
contacts/multipliers? I have long since passed the "contest comes before
anything" stage, and that visit was worth more than any amount of
contacts/multipliers, could ever be!
Bottom line = I enjoyed the amount of time that I could participate, and was
"pleasantly" surprised at the activity. Thanks to the sponsors, and the
participants! Without the participants, RTTY contesting would resemble
"watching TV?
COF = Certified Ole Fart  :))

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW

Call: K4WW