Re: [RTTY] VE2RYY question on how many QTC

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] VE2RYY question on how many QTC
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 20:25:24 -0000
Hi Noel and the group,

QTC's are sent, OR received in batches of uo to 10. In theory, I could send
you 5, and you could send me 5.
However, that is simply a waste of energy, as there is little point in me
calling you back just to exchange the other 5, either then, or later in the
contest.
Most software, Writelog, WF1B, and presumably the others, will handle 10 in
one go, so you may as well do just that.

QTC's are not limited to a band! We could, for example, exchange 2 QTC on
each of the 5 contest bands, but that would be pointless.
You cannot exchange MORE than 10 with ANY station, regardless of band.
You cannot exchange them with someone on your own continent (ie, you cannot
send QTC to a W).
Your batch of 10 cannot contain your QSO with the station you are exchanging
them with. (For example....
If you are my 10th contact, I cannot send you that QSO as part of the QTC
traffic between us).

If conditions are marginal, there is deep QSB, there is a lot of QRM, you
only just copied the exchange, then DON'T bother trying to exchange QTC's. I
always try to avoid QTC with the more "DX" type of station, as the chances
of him getting called in the midst of the QTC exchange is high.

I prefer to build up my QSO totals before I start to bother trying to send
QTC. Usually, I will try hard to get at least 100 contacts in the log before
sending.
However, I am happy to receive as soon as anyone can send them to me.

Do be aware of "one way" type transmission. Folks that I am struggling to
hear will often say I am strong there, and ask me to send. It could easily
be the other way round.

It is possible to practice partially with Writelog, in that if you put a few
dozen contacts in the log, then enter a DX call, you can SEND. You could
also use these ten to "receive", but you won't see them change colour as
they would in contest conditions.

Writelog will tell you how many QTC's you can exchange, and it won't let you
exceed that.

Does that help?

Best 73
Phil GU0SUP