Re: [RTTY] BARTG contests for 2006

To: "'John Barber'" <SKA@bartg.demon.co.uk>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG contests for 2006
From: "Patrick W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:25:49 -0800

Snip....

John,

Congratulations to the Group for their efforts in creating this category.
I'm sure it will be popular with those who wish to participate but do not
wish or can't spend the time for a longer effort. Good job and well
thought-out. I would like to suggest another potential change not of the
rules but in the reporting.

I understand that you do not sponsor a low power category because you do not
feel it is "enforceable". That's fine. I do think however, that a number of
potential participants choose not to participate because there is no way to
see how they did compared to others running low power. All the stations
running both low and high power are lumped together in the results listing.
I would ask that you consider at least indicating a stations power class in
the results even though you won't be sponsoring an award for the low power
entries. The California QSO party is an example of this approach. They give
out an award based on the highest score in each state without regard to
power. However, the published results do indicate a stations power level.
This approach supports the "contest within a contest" concept that has been
used to help bolster participation in other contests. It shifts the total
focus from the Top Ten score box by recognizing the efforts and
accomplishments of some of the smaller stations who are in reality competing
amongst themselves rather than competing for the grand prize. I am not
suggesting a new category for awards, just an additional data point in the
results for the participants use.

Thank you for your consideration and thanks again for sponsoring a great
event.

73,

Patrick
W7TMT