Re: [RTTY] Interface question(s)

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Interface question(s)
From: "Byron Lichtenwalner" <w3wkr@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:27:51 -0500
:Hi Larry
Glad to see your getting back to RTTY.  We are all having a blast, and you
will find activity has rewally grown since you last participated.

I'll take my shot at your questions, you probably will get other opinions.

I'll answer your questions starting with question 2.  The theory and
practice is that you can't tell the difference between a properly adjusted
AFSK and an FSK signal.  Use the FSK, there aren't any adjustmentsw, and
things like ground loops are avoided.

Second, build your own interface.  Just did thsat here, and it took about an
hour.

I used a seperate serial port for Ptt AND data for the RTTY info from W: to
my trwnsceiver.  I "GLUED" the female 9 pin connector to the board, cut pads
on the circuit board for two NPN trwnsistors, 2 1K 1/8 ohm resistors, and 4
RF chokes to make sure I didn't get RF into the interface.

Emitters are grounded, Collectors goto the PTT and FSK input on the
transceiver, base goes to 1K resistor.  Inputs to the resistors go thru the
RFC's to RTS and TX data pins on the serial port.  Outputs go thru RFC's to
the DIN pins on the Transceiver.

>From your description, I expect your not getting a voltage swing on you FSK
pin input to the trwnsceiver.  Might be a missing jumper in your interface.

Byron, W3WKR

> I have a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V interfaced to the sound card via an
MFJ-1279.