Re: [RTTY] ARRL RTTY Round-Up - Log checking

To: RTTY Contest <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL RTTY Round-Up - Log checking
From: Waldemar DK3VN <dk3vn@nexgo.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:46:18 +0100
> > Hi,
> >
> > copied from the "2006 ARRL RTTY Round-Up Rules":
> >
> > 3.2.5 Limited to 6 band changes (maximum) in any clock hour.
> > 3.2.6 The clock hour is from zero through 59 minutes.
> >
> > To count the number of band changes during a a sliding time window
> > of 60 minutes needs a few code lines. Or does it mean, that the great
> > ARRL is still checking all logs manual?  ~:)
> >
> > 73 de Waldemar DK3VN
>
> Just because it is possible to write more log checking code, doesn't mean it
> is a good thing to do.  The clock hour rule is much easier to monitor during
> the contest, compared to a sliding hour.  Few, if any of the logging
> software programs help the operator(s) track band changes/sliding hour.
>
> Maybe you can find something else to criticize the "great ARRL" for.
>
> 73,
> Ed - W0YK

What an operator is able to do and what the log checker is able to do,
that are two different affairs.

If an operator don't want to .. or is not able to control his number
of band changes during a sliding hour, then he can control it each
clock hour (00-59), even the rules would allow a sliding hour.
In the "Land Of The Free" everybody has his own choice, right?

I understand the idea behind the rule "maximum band changes per ...."
for a "Multioperator/Single Transmitter" category. But not allowing
a sliding hour reduces the number of choices without any sense.

BTW: To my opinion it is an anachronism nowadays.

All the best and 73 de Waldemar DK3VN
--
Check RWRL http://home.arcor.de/waldemar.kebsch/
TMC http://home.arcor.de/waldemar.kebsch/The_Makrothen_Contest/