Re: [RTTY] The POLL!

To: RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The POLL!
From: "pcooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:39:35 +0000
Hi all,

Great stuff Rick! This should be interesting!

When tuning RTTY signals, I use:
    (method)        (example)

 [X]  Scope           (MMTTY)

 [ ]  Scope           (a real scope)

 [ ]  FFT display     (a la MMTTY)

 [ ]  LED bar graph   (specify)

 [ ]  LED x-y display (specify)

 [X]  by Ear

 [X]  other           (IC756 display scope)

 [ ]  I never have to tune. I only CQ.

 My primary decoder is:   (brand/model)

 MMTTY

 My secondary decoder is: (brand/model)

 Nothing!

Interesting that only a few (so far) have indicated tuning by ear! I can pretty
much tune in a RTTY signal by ear alone, certainly close enough to reply to,
and for it not to be apparent that I am off frequency.

In a contest, I tighten down the filtering a great deal, so I am only really
listening to the filtered audio, and this helps in picking up that weak signal
in the middle of the stronger signals.
Amazing how many times I have picked out some juicy DX station buried between
two of the big EU stations.

If I am CQ'ing and someone calls me outside my filter passband, I am probably
not bothered if I can't hear them, unless they are encroaching on my frequency
and causing me grief.
If they are that far out, they probably aren't DX!

73 all, and seasons greetings!
Phil GU0SUP