[RTTY] K4WW M/S LP

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] K4WW M/S LP
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:03:53 -0500
I had good intentions of making this a "full blown" 24 hour effort, but
didn't quite make it. I've learned that my brain is far more willing, than
my body. The activity seemed to be considerably higher, than last year? The
"efficiency", also seemed to be much better? I still encourage all, to keep
a list of stations that "in your opinion" aren't "doing it correctly", and
send them a private email, encouraging them to visit the available
information sites, in order to improve their participation? Most, if not all
logging programs allow for programming of multiple buffers, to be used,
depending on the situation? If you're loud, sending your call/exchange one
time, should be sufficient? If you're not loud, plan accordingly. Even using
low power, I was able to get through some pileups, by having a buffer
programmed with my call being sent 5 times. When those that sent their call
only once, or twice, were finished transmitting, my call would be on the
receiving station's screen. I also use another buffer, for those "second, or
more", times I work another station, where their information doesn't change.
As the information is already in the log, they don't need a "long, drawn
out" exchange?
As some have said: "this is a contest, expect the unexpected"  I still
believe in being courteous, as well as competitive! I have yet to find a
RTTY contest that I couldn't find room to operate? In "high activity"
contests, when tuning, I tune as low in the band, and as high in the band as
I hear signals, then tune about 5 KHz lower, and higher?
I choose to speak for no one else, but having been "profanity laced"
admonished, on the air, for unknowingly operating at 14.100, I now respect
the NCDXF beacon system, and try not to operate there. If a "needed"
multiplier is operating there, who knows? :)
Regardless, I had fun, made more contacts than last year, had a visit from a
"new to the area" ham, hopefully creating another "RTTY rat"!

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW

----------------------------------

ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K4WW
Operator(s): K4WW + PACKET
Station: K4WW

Class: M/S LP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
   80:  150
   40:  135
   20:  235
   15:   80
   10:    0
Total:  600  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 52  Total Score = 61,800

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

The "ever increasing" activity, in RTTY contests,
makes for "few and far between" periods of
inactivity. My compliments to 99.9% of the
participants on their ability to remain courteous,
while being competitive!