Re: [RTTY] CQ vs. S&P for RTTY Round-UP

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ vs. S&P for RTTY Round-UP
From: "Scott Schultz" <scottaschultz@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:42:21 -0600
From: "Dick Kriss, AA5VU" <aa5vu@arrl.net>
To: "rtty-contesting" <rtty@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 10:13 AM
Subject: [RTTY] CQ vs. S&P for RTTY Round-UP

> Before the RTTY Round Up I was looking over the Jan/Feb 2006 issue of the
> National Contest Journal (NCJ) and one comment got my attention on page 30
> where K5TR noted a sign at the N5AU contest station that says "Call CQ.
> Multis answer CQs".

This is what makes contesting a real art form. I see a lot of message
threads that ask, "What is the best contest rig?" by people thinking that
this is going to give them some sort of an edge. There is no doubt that
finely tuned station goes a long way, but guys like AA5AU have figured out
such things as when to switch bands and when to call CQ and when to run.
Finely tuned technique will win over a finely tuned station every time! Guys
like Don have both.

I don't know if its a gut reaction or if there is an actual formula that
tells them that after so many unanswered CQ's its time to S&P? And when they
do S&P, how many unanswered attempts at snagging a rare multilplier do they
try before giving up?

Maybe one day I will figure all that out too!

73,
de Scott NØIU