Re: [RTTY] UKDX RTTY AA5VU Single Op LP

To: "Dick Kriss, AA5VU" <aa5vu@sbcglobal.net>,rtty-contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] UKDX RTTY AA5VU Single Op LP
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:49:55 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 07:15 AM 1/22/2006, Dick Kriss, AA5VU wrote:

>I can understand why some like to ride the RIT in the CQ mode.  However, I
>do not understand why anyone run in the S&P mode with their RIT ON?
>
>73, Dick AA5VU

RIT may be at fault sometimes, but AFC can be the culprit too.

AFC is great when running, but when going to S&P one should turn it
off and - MOST IMPORTANT - also click the "HAM" button (MMTTY) to
reset the detector to the normal tones. Simply turning off AFC does
not reset the tones.

Not doing this will leave one's TX and RX on different frequencies.
It's easy to forget. I do it myself from time to time. :-)

Incidentally, if you like to use RIT, instead try working split with
the A and B vfo. TX on B, RX on A. That allows you to use the normal
tuning knob for RX, which is usually more convenient and more natural
than using the itty-bitty RIT knob.

73, Bill W6WRT