Re: [RTTY] thats very sad Gert

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] thats very sad Gert
From: "Scott Schultz" <scottaschultz@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:52:06 -0600
From: "Peter Laws" <plaws0@gmail.com>
To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 1:37 PM

> You're confusing "ultimate control" and micromanaging. The ARRL Board
doesn't need to use LoTW to judge its effectiveness (tho' it certainly
wouldn't hurt)

So who is going to going to tell them? The membership? Quite frankly, the
folks in Newington don't exactly have the best track record of being
responsive to their membership.

> That's why the ARRL has a CTO (and why the company I work for has a
similar position).

The Chief Technical Officer of the ARRL is Paul Rinaldo W4RI. His name does
not appear on the list when one searchs all users of LoTW at
http://rchalmas.users.ch/lotw/. So how does this qualify Mr. Rinaldo to
judge the effectiveness of LoTW and report his findings to the board?

 > Should the directors also be forced to by all ARRL publications just
because the ARRL publishes them?

No more than the directors of GM should buy a Corvette, but they should be
familliar with every vehicle in the company's line and at least drive one.
They also need to drive an Aveo while they are at it!

In terms of operating, the primary focus at the League is on HF. That is why
they are pushing for "more meaningful" HF privileges for Technicians.
(Heaven forbid they should encourage them to upgrade to General to get more
privileges!) According to David Sumner K1ZZ in his "It Seems to Us" column
in the January 2006 edition of QST and also on their website, you are
obviously missing out on enjoying the full benefits of ham radio by not
using the HF bands. In his column he writes, "...the experience of setting
up your own station in your own home that can reach around the world without
any artificial assistance is unique to HF and teaches lessons that cannot be
learned any other way. It is an experience that is not available to
Technicians..."

So if you want to work bands that are closer to daylight than DC, that is
all well and good, but obviously only "real hams" work DX!

Scott N0IU