Re: [RTTY] GU0SUP Sprint SOABLP

To: <pcooper@guernsey.net>, "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] GU0SUP Sprint SOABLP
From: "Tom Moore" <wx4tm@tm-moore.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:02:43 -0600
yes, it seemed pretty clear that MANY people didn't read the rules, huh?
lots and lots of 599's. Maybe their software 'required' it?? And yes, saw
lots and lots of 2 and 3 line responses. But it could be there were lots of
new folks who just haven't gotton the hang of it yet and surely don't read
this reflector or Don's web page. There were a tremendous number of people
who had less than 50 Q's throughout and late in the contest. They weren't
contesting, just getting a few Q's and having fun. But that's ok, in fact
great. But sure wish there was some sort of way to get to them to show them
and even a good bunch of the old timers the proper way. Maybe Shelby's idea
of emailing, those who we can find addresses for, a short 'contest procedure
info note' would, afterall, be helpful. Also there were quite a few apparent
AFSK very wide over driven signals on the air this time too, even from at
least one well known contest station. But I understand. I worry about over
driving my amp, bad SWR etc but 'in the heat of the battle', I forget to
check it as often as I should. Additionally I've been fighting a recurring
mistake where when calling CQ, I set my 2nd VFO for xmit and use the main
VFO for receive so I can tune in those a tad off freq. The problem is that
when I quit CQ'ing and go S&P I've been forgetting to return xmit to the
primary VFO. You know what happens! I get severely embarrassed at least a
couple of times in each contest. That second VFO light needs to flash at
me.. Hi.  I sincerely apologize to anyone I've stepped on when that occurs.
I'm not going to chalk up that error to age (I just turned 63) but rather to
a shear lack of concentration.

73, Tom WX4TM