[RTTY] AA5AU BARTG Sprint SOE

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] AA5AU BARTG Sprint SOE
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:17:21 -0600
AA5AU

Single Op Expert

        QSOs
80m:    168
40m:    306
20m:    370
15m:    185
10m:    0
Total:  1029
Continents:     6
Call Areas:     23
DXCC:           65
Total multipliers:      88
Score:          543,312

I'm not sure why it's called a Sprint.  My highest rate hour was only 88 in the
4th hour and the last few hours were more like a crawl - I worked only 9
stations in the last hour.  It was fun running with K4GMH and KI5XP most of the
night but I couldn't hang with them.  I ended up taking a 2 hour break from
0800-1000Z.

First high power contest for me in a while.  Everything worked well.  Had some
interesting contacts like TR8CA, JY4NE, CN8YZ, ZS6WN and H2E calling me on 40
meters.  The highlight of the contest was working ZC4LI on 80 meters for a new
band country.  20 and 40 were in excellent shape.  Heard nothing on 10, but 15
was better than expected except for the lack of JA's before sunset.  80 wasn't
bad.  I stopped to chat with Charlie, KI5XP, during the night on 80 and a line
of thunderstorms was passing over him and headed towards me.  I kept an eye on
the radar as the storms approached.  We did get rain showers and I heard one
clap of thunder but for some reason the weather didn't greatly affect 40 or 80
and I've never experienced that before - no major static crashes and no rain
noise.

In the last two hours I worked VR2BG, UA0FHT and YB0COU on 40 meters - all new
multipliers.  The lowlight was not working SM and the lack of JA stations and
districts, especially on 15 & 40 meters.  I missed JA0, 5, 6, 7 and 9.  Thanks
to VK6HD for calling me on 20 meters.  I saw him S&P, so I found a spot and
called CQ and he found me.  He was the only VK worked.

It was a fun contest for me.  Thanks for all the contacts.  I'll probably pass
on the XE contest next week and focus on WPX in two weeks.  See you then!

73, Don AA5AU