Re: [RTTY] External DSP devices

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] External DSP devices
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:59:59 -0600
Jacob,

An external audio DSP unit will help fight some interference, but it is not the
right answer to your problem. I have the Timewave DSP unit, but it is a
disappointment for serious RTTY contesting.

What you really need is a radio that provides selectable filters of 500 Hz or
tighter. If you're hearing RTTY stations 2.5 KHz away, these signals are
desensing your receiver by applying excessive AGC. It's the "FM principle". The
loudest station captures the radio and you (your decoder) can't hear the weaker
stations.

One radio that is relatively inexpensive that works well on RTTY is the Kenwood
TS-450SAT. Also, the TS-690SAT is the same radio but includes 6 meter coverage.
You can install optional 500 Hz (or 400 or 270 or 250 Hz) filters in either
transceiver. The filters work on both CW and RTTY. In addition, the radio has
true FSK built in, so you eliminate the AFSK issues. The current product in
this line is the TS-570.

I might sound like a Kenwood salesman, but I know this radio because I have a
TS-690SAT and have used it on RTTY. I have not used the TS-570.

These transceivers come up on eBay from time to time and seem to sell for $400
~ $600 depending upon the condition and options. As a matter of fact, there's a
TS-690SAT on eBay right now, Item 5860705398 as well as a couple of 450's.

There are probably other lower cost radios that provide good RTTY capabilities
too. But this is the one I can tell you about first hand.

My opinion is save your money on the external DSP unit and put it toward a
second rig (or an upgraded rig)!

73 de Bob - K0RC

Message: 7