Re: [RTTY] Tips for contesting...

To: dave@nk7z.net
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Tips for contesting...
From: Wes Quinn <wes_quinn@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:47:51 -0800 (PST)
>>Dave NK7Z/NNN0RDO wrote:
>>
>>"So just what do you guys do to get the high Q rate?  I currently run a
>>vertical, and a KW for equipment, and can not even come close to the rates
>>you are getting..."
>>
>You should be working plenty of guys with that setup.  I typically RTTY
>contest with 100W, and nothing more than single-element antennas here.
>
>The secret is to RUN.  Sit on a (relatively) clear frequency and call CQ.  You
>are loud enough, and you will get answers.
>
>The hard part is making the psychological jump from being busy all the time
>(tuning around, calling guys, etc.) to calling CQ and *not* feeling busy >all
>of the time (lots of CQs go unanswered).  The former is an inefficient use of
>time.  That's why one seems to do more work for less return than by >calling
>CQ.  The way to fill this "not busy" time of course is to add a second radio
>which you can tune around and look for people you have not >worked, WHILE
>still maintaining a run (CQ) frequency.
>
>But I'm not recommending this for you at this stage.  Just make a commitment
>to call CQ more.  Lots more.  I have lots of problems with this myself >(puny
>station).  I can work about 30/hour tuning around, or 40/hour by CQing.  And
>CQing is less stress.  Which would you choose?
>
>Besides, by CQing, you are guaranteed at least 1 QSO on every band - AA5AU
>will find you!
>
>73 - Jim AD1C

The other thing is to be on the right band at the right time.  Don't spend time
calling on a dead band, even though there is plenty of room to call CQ.

It is tough to find out when to move to the next higher or lower band, unless
you check the other band's conditions.  Unless someone has a better suggestion?
 That is the biggest problem I have.  It would be nice to hear how the pros do
it.  :-)

What kind of vertical are you using and how high is it?

73 es GL,
Wes K4WES