Re: [RTTY] Elecraft K2/100

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Elecraft K2/100
From: Dave Barr <k2yg@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:42:16 -0500
I've been running a K2 (Not /100, just 5 watts) for many years.
Operating what you build is great, but an even bigger plus is the
receiver.  The front end beats almost anything available.  I simply have
NO trouble printing relatively weak signals with very strong adjacent
(say closest tone 100 hz off) stations.  Constantly variable filters, 4
per mode (non-DSP and a real pain to set), work very well.  And even
with 5 watts you can work a lot.  My RTTY QRP country count is about
260.  Admittedly, it gets tougher at this part of the ss cycle, but even
this past November, as for every year since the K2 was built, it's
worked true cw DXCC (not just 100 dx mults) in every CQ WW CW  contest.
And in the recent BARTG Sprint, WAC within an hour.  With a laptop, you
can work RTTY from anywhere.  But, it's a tough choice with its cost as
a kit being as much as many used rigs.  And it's not so great at holding
a frequency while CQing!

Dave Barr
K2YG