Re: [RTTY] HF-2V or HF-6V

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] HF-2V or HF-6V
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:15:50 -0500
The coils/traps in the Cushcraft antennas are all close wound on
small diameter forms - rather lossy and easy to arc at high power.
Butternut Antennas have larger diameter, air-wound coils and should
have much lower losses as a result (if coupled with good, in ground
radial systems).

If my primary concern were the high bands (20-6), I would look
very closely at the Hy-Gain AV-620 (no coils/traps) and elevate
it.  For the low bands (80/40), I would look hard at the HF2V
and consider the top loading kit or EI7BA's modifications
(http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/80&40mVertic.htm) for improved 80 meter
performance plus at least 32 x 30' (1000' of wire) radials -
more/longer if I had room.

If I were limited to verticals only, I might even consider the
AV-620/HF2V pair - each one for its strengths.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV