[RTTY] High power baluns

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] High power baluns
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:42:39 +0000
All HP rtty users with dipoles, etc,

I discovered the problem I was having on 80m during wpx where the SWR would
suddenly rise. I thought it was the snow shorting across the folded dipole.
But in the day light Monday, I see the "load/terminator" at the ends of the
folded dipoles is badly scorched. And I can see the SWR rise under heating
from the linear's RF.

So my question for you dipole users is -  What type of high power baluns
(one to one, I suppose) are you using to make your dipoles?

I have always liked the parallel dipole arrangement where I can get all 5
bands between two end supports with the tower holding the middle.

All the baluns I am seeing are rated "at full legal power" but then they
are qualified as ssb/cw duty cycle only. And some go so far as to say "not
for rtty".   So what baluns will take 1.5 kw rtty continuous service?

New antennas are going to have to be built

Jerry