Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade
From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:31:23 -0800
On Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:08 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Tyler Stewart <k3mm@verizon.net> wrote:

> Outlaw AFSK?  Maybe dirty AFSK, but it's the only way to fly AFAIC.
> S&P in NET/Autotune TX mode saves a lot of time and you are on
> exactly the right frequency when you answer.
If you are using a narrow bandwidth - 250 Hz or so - you will be right on
top of the other station anyway. If you are, then NET/AFC will only correct
a few Hz. IMO, this is not enough advantage to overcome AFSK's well known
disadvantages regarding drive level. Almost every contest I hear the results
of overdrive. Yes, I know it can be done properly, but there is always
someone who doesn't. It's an annoyance we can do without.

To each his own.

73, Bill W6WRT