Re: [RTTY] RFI problem

To: W5FKX - Don <w5fkx@cox.net>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RFI problem
From: Andrei Nevis <v49a@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 15:49:09 -0800 (PST)
Don, put MORE Toroids, that what I did , every where, on each cable from both
ends.
  Power supply as well, every cable I covered with toroids, now my Gateway is
OK.
  73's Andrei EW1AR-NP3D

W5FKX - Don <w5fkx@cox.net> wrote:
  Over the last couple of days, I had the opportunity to try out my new
Gateway laptop during a quick portable operation during a trip, only to find
that I had a big problem. I used my usual portable equipment, consisting of
an IC-706MkII, Rascal interface, and MMTTY running on the laptop. Of course,
the new laptop did not have a serial port (as did my old one), so I used a
serial-to-USB adapter to control TX/RX. Despite toroids on the lines coming
into the laptop, after the first transmission it was apparent that RF was
getting into the computer, as my touch-pad would not allow tap-clicking,
followed by a complete lock-up (I had to remove the battery to shut it off).

This was my first attempt to use a serial-USB converter, so I disconnected
it and, after re-booting, was able to TX/RX manually. This is NOT what I'd
like to do!

Any suggestions? ... other than pitching the laptop ... :-)

Don W5FKX
Delta DX Association
http://www.qsl.net/ddxa